Die Giftigkeit von Xylit bei Hunden: Warum Du Vorsichtig Sein Solltest - paawy

The Toxicity of Xylitol in Dogs: Why You Should Be Cautious

The Toxicity of Xylitol in Dogs: Why You Should Be Cautious
You may have heard that xylitol – a popular sugar substitute in many foods – is dangerous for dogs. But what exactly makes xylitol so risky, and how can you protect your dog from it? In this blog post you will learn everything you need to know about the toxicity of xylitol in dogs.

What is xylitol?

Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol found in many plants, including fruits and vegetables. It is often used as a sugar substitute in sugar-free foods such as chewing gum, candies and baked goods. But xylitol is also contained in some types of peanut butter . While xylitol is safe for humans and may even have some health benefits, it is extremely toxic to dogs.

Why is xylitol toxic to dogs?

Unlike humans, consumption of xylitol in dogs results in a rapid release of insulin, the hormone that regulates blood sugar levels. This can lead to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which can be life-threatening.

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning

If your dog has eaten xylitol, symptoms can appear within 15 to 30 minutes, but sometimes last up to several hours. Signs include:

  • trembling and weakness
  • Disorientation or confusion
  • Vomit
  • Seizures
  • unconsciousness

What to do in an emergency?

  • Don't waste time: If you suspect your dog has eaten xylitol, take him to the vet immediately or call the nearest emergency veterinary clinic.
  • Don't induce vomiting: Don't try to make your dog vomit at home unless your vet specifically tells you to.
  • Have information ready: If possible, take the packaging of the product that contains xylitol with you to the vet. This allows the doctor to better estimate the exact amount of xylitol consumed.

Preventive measures

  1. Education: Know the products that may contain xylitol. Read labels carefully before purchasing foods and snacks.
  2. Safe storage: Keep all products containing xylitol out of your dog's reach.
  3. Clear rules: Inform all family members and guests that they are not allowed to give your dog sugar-free snacks.
  4. Find alternatives: If you want to give your dog a treat, stick with dog-safe snacks or natural options like carrots or apples (seed-free, of course).


Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs and can be life-threatening in even small amounts. Therefore, it is important to be careful and store any products containing xylitol out of your dog's reach. If you suspect your dog has eaten xylitol, immediate action and veterinary treatment is crucial. Conscious use of this substance can help avoid dangerous and tragic situations.